[ltp] Gentoo

dan babb linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:31:53 +0000

I'm currently running an IBM thinkpad T-20. I have Intel pro 100 for
networking in the PCMCIA slot. I can install redhat or Mandrake without any
problems. When it comes to gentoo however....

Off the LiveCD once I boot up using gentoo dopcmcia, the LiveCD sees my Nic
as 2 seperate entities. It enables Eth0 and eth1 and the 2 fight for the
same address spacing and I can't seem to resolve it. I thought it might be
the wake on lan setting in the bios so I shut it off and it had no effect.

So I opted to try and configure my nic inside of gentoo once it was
installed and just jumped to a stage 3 install. However out of habit I
booted with gentoo dopcmcia (bear in mind this is with the same nic) Somehow
eth1 wasn't being seen and I had ZERO problems with the network. So I
started off at stage 2. Once stage 2 is COMPLETE according to there
instructions and I've emerged GNOME instead of KDE (personal pref). I reboot
and gentoo is unable to initialize eth0 even though I've got it configured
properly according to what I know and the gentoo documentation. So I move on
and try to get inside of X at least. After having compiled GNOME I typed
startx with all kinds of confidence, once I did this X fails with no screens
available (I don't have the exact error handy but it was VERY close to that)
I Can't run ifconfig eth0 from the command prompt when logged in as any user
Root or otherwise.

Has anyone successfully installed gentoo on a T-20 and if so what did you do
to make it work properly? I'm not all that linux savvy, and I like some of
the features that Gentoo has to offer (i.e. Emerge). I have 2 options here.
I can continue into week 3 of fighting with Gentoo or alternatively does
anyone have an idea of some sort of software I could use with Redhat that
could do something similar to emerge like go out to mirrors I define and
grab dependancies for packages and tarballs that I download and start
compiling?

Thanks!!!

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your existing Internet access and enjoy
patented spam protection and more.  Sign up now!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa