[ltp] Gentoo

Dan Borello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:58:16 -0500

I have used Mandrake, Red Hat, Gentoo and Debian for a long period of time each.

If package managment is your goal, Gentoo and Debian are the best.  apt and portage are both wonderful.

Urpmi is not all it is made out to be.  It is not NEARLY as good as apt.

Gentoo's optimisations are very small.  There are a few tests that show little or no gain over debian.

I recommend you give debian a shot.  Once setup correctly (part of the fun) it is very easy to maintain and give you instant gratification when installing something.

dan