[ltp] Gentoo

S. Anthony Sequeira linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:46:49 +0100

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 20:39, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:23:21 +0200
> Buchan Milne <bgmilne@cae.co.za> wrote:
>
> > Gentoo has two advantages over Redhat (we're talking defaults):
> >
> > 1)Optimisation
> > 2)Package management

[...]

> > Of course, if you just want to be l337, and be happy that you *must* be
> > more efficient since you spent a solid week compiling packages, then
> > there is no choice, you have to run a source-based distro.
>
> Those source-based distros are for those with fast machines and big hard
> disks. We laptop users score low on both scales. :)

Sorry,  I am in the process of installing LFS on my TP 600E.  Not fast
or big hard disk either.  All you need is patience and preferably
another machine for day to day work.  It's not 'efficiency' I'm
primarily interested in, but knowledge and control of what *exactly*
goes onto my system.
Tony