[ltp] T40 - Consensus on the blank screen coma (LCD sleep) issue?

Mark G. Spencer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 12:41:04 -0700

I've been browsing through the thread and see how people have tackled =
this
issue in various ways.  Or at least what I think is this issue.

I see people discussing sleep/suspend, but I'm not hoping to even get =
that
far.  ;) Unless what is being referred to is sleep/suspend of the LCD, =
and
not the entire system.

I just want to be able to "wake" my screen up when the LCD goes into =
sleep.
It goes into a LCD coma whether I'm on battery or AC, it just takes =
longer
on AC.  Everything else (pcmcia, hd, etc.) appear to continue running.  =
subscribe to Red Hat's up2date service, have the latest patches, and it =
is
still broken.=20

Is there a RPM that can be downloaded to resolve this issue?  Is it =
XFree86
related?  I don't want to turn the LCD sleep off in my BIOS because my
battery will be killed in Windows during the work day when I'm not on =
AC. =20

I called IBM and they blew me off.  They are only willing to support =
Windows
on the three T40's we bought, because that was the installed OS.  What a
joke for $3,000 laptops.

Thanks for the advice!

Mark