[ltp] T40 - Consensus on the blank screen coma (LCD sleep) issue?

Valient Gough linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:46:15 -0700

--=-gfatRoXGktiZhk8dQwbV

Yes - I believe it is related to the X driver your using.  You might
look through other T40 Linux users's reports:
http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html

My report is also linked from there -- my problems with sleep/suspend &
LCD blanking went away when I switched to another X server (AcceleratedX
commercial server in my case).

Val

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 13:31, Dan Borello wrote:

> It seems to be directly related to what XFree86 Driver you are using.  I
> have found that the DRI and ATI one do not exhibit any problems, at
> least for me.
>
> Just tinker with it, It'll work out.
>
> dan
>

> On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 14:41, Mark G. Spencer wrote:
> > I've been browsing through the thread and see how people have tackled this
> > issue in various ways.  Or at least what I think is this issue.
> >
> > I see people discussing sleep/suspend, but I'm not hoping to even get that
> > far.  ;) Unless what is being referred to is sleep/suspend of the LCD, and
> > not the entire system.
> >
> > I just want to be able to "wake" my screen up when the LCD goes into sleep.
> > It goes into a LCD coma whether I'm on battery or AC, it just takes longer
> > on AC.  Everything else (pcmcia, hd, etc.) appear to continue running.  I
> > subscribe to Red Hat's up2date service, have the latest patches, and it is
> > still broken.
> >
> > Is there a RPM that can be downloaded to resolve this issue?  Is it XFree86
> > related?  I don't want to turn the LCD sleep off in my BIOS because my
> > battery will be killed in Windows during the work day when I'm not on AC.
> >
> > I called IBM and they blew me off.  They are only willing to support Windows
> > on the three T40's we bought, because that was the installed OS.  What a
> > joke for $3,000 laptops.
> >
> > Thanks for the advice!
> >
> > Mark

--=-gfatRoXGktiZhk8dQwbV

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
Yes - I believe it is related to the X driver your using.&nbsp; You might look through other T40 Linux users's reports: <A HREF="http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html">http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html</A><BR>
<BR>
My report is also linked from there -- my problems with sleep/suspend &amp; LCD blanking went away when I switched to another X server (AcceleratedX commercial server in my case).<BR>
<BR>
Val<BR>
<BR>