[ltp] Gentoo

Michael W. Holdeman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:35:13 -0400

Once Gentoo was compiled on my 600, and KDE. (this did take a good solid
weekend, and on a dial-up line). I installed OpenOffice.bin ebuild on the
gentoo. It installed quite fast, and was very usable even though it was a
binary install.

I wish I still had teh HD from my 600, I'd just send it to you!

Mike

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 09:35 am, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:46:49 +0100
>
> "S. Anthony Sequeira" <tony@sequeira.com> wrote:
> > Sorry,  I am in the process of installing LFS on my TP 600E.  Not fast
> > or big hard disk either.  All you need is patience and preferably
> > another machine for day to day work.  It's not 'efficiency' I'm
> > primarily interested in, but knowledge and control of what *exactly*
> > goes onto my system.
>
> That's pretty much my point. Many of us want to get actual work done on
> our laptops ... work OTHER than compiling stuff like (for example) Open
> Office.
>
> If you have a spare machine kicking around, it doesn't really matter WHAT
> you install on it, or how long it has to sit and compile before you can
> use it.
>
> --
> *  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
> *  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!