[ltp] 60GB HDD + My T40 Suspend/Resume/Wireless

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:49:44 -0400 (EDT)

Disk
----
	It turns out you can order the Hitachi 60GB/7200RPM drive from a
variety of online stores, for as low as $250:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=986506&ut=44551b58f8721cf8&found=2&search=hitachi%207k60

	If that doesn't work, just search for "hitachi 7k60".

	The first one I ordered crapped out after a day of working fine,
but the second is doing well so far.  That's in a T40 -- if all continues
to go well, I'll probably be doing the same to a T30 too.  I don't have
any worthwhile benchmarks, but at least hdparm is happy:

hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.27 seconds =474.07 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.70 seconds = 37.65 MB/sec

	Note that the original Red Hat 9 kernel didn't support DMA on the
T40, but all the recent updates have.

T40p Wireless
-------------
	As far as wireless goes, I've got a T40p with a Cisco wireless
card running Red Hat 9.  I use the crappy Cisco drivers, since the
airo-mpi.c won't apply to the Red Hat kernel.  And when I built a 2.4.22
with it, I got errors every time I tried to get a DHCP address (though
iwlist worked fine):

[dhclient] wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801

	Note: I've got BIOS 5.0.0.3 or whatever, since I fell victim to
the Windows Update once and had to downgrade to whatever I could get from
Cisco's site.  If someone has a BIOS file for what originally shipped on
the thing, that would be great.

	I've still got the IBM a/b card that came with the machine in a
box somewhere, but I've heard mixed enough reviews of the madwifi driver
that I'm not going through the hassle of changing them out just yet.  On
the up side, I finally found a Lowe's that sells the "security" version of
the Torx.  On the down side, they didn't have the size that fits the T40p.

T40p Suspend/Resume
-------------------
	Admittedly, I don't really stress the graphics of the machine
much, so I'm currently using the standard Red Hat 9 XFree86 radeon driver
for the Fire GL 9000.
	I had to edit /etc/sysconfig/apmd to have it load/unload the sound
driver when suspending and resuming:

RESTORESOUND="yes"
RESTORESOUNDPROGS="yes"
SOUNDMODULES="sound soundcore i810_audio ac97_codec"

	Then I had to add "apmcontinue-pre" to /etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/
to load and unload the Cisco driver (script at end).  With those changes,
I can suspend and resume with no trouble when X-Windows is running (via
F4, close lid, apm -s, etc.).  I think it hangs if I suspend from the
console, but that doesn't bother me.  I can't recover from shutting off
the screen via F3 without suspending and resuming, but at leats that's a
workaround.

T41
---
Sigh...

Aaron

-- apmcontinue-pre --

#!/bin/bash

PROG="$1"

case "$PROG" in
    suspend|standby)
        echo "Unloading mpi350 module..." > /tmp/apmtest
        rmmod mpi350
        ;;
    resume)
        echo "Loading mpi350 module..." >> /tmp/apmtest
        insmod e1000
        insmod mpi350
        /opt/cisco/bin/bcard
        ;;