[ltp] up2date (RH) and updating the kernel

otisg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:00:05 -0400

Hello Thomas and others,

I agree, compiling the kernel manually with custom settings
would be better.

Would anyone happen to have some good .config files for T40?

I actually don't have any of my own on this T40, it looks like I
always just got the default RedHat kernel on this particular
machine.

Thank you,
Otis

---- On Thu, 09 Oct 2003, Hartwig, Thomas
(t.hartwig@crapoud.com) wrote:

> Hi Otis,
>
> at first there is no danger with it, your old kernel and boot
manager
> will be saved if you use "up2date -f". But I would not advice
to do so,
> because you need to compile a kernel by your own to get the
best out of
> your T40. The standard kernel is not the best choice, please
look to the
> mailing list archive for earlier discussions or the web pages
lurking
> around.
>
> Greetings
> Thomas
>

> otisg wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is somewhat of a up2date question, but it is for a T40,
and
> > for those who use up2date tool from RedHat.
> >
> > Is it safe to update the vanilla RedHat 9.0 (kernel
2.4.18-20)