[ltp] Made my decision...

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:47:25 -0700

OK, here's an update on my Quest For Thinkpad.

I made my decision, and went with this machine:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IBM600E-9

Here's the link to the one I was considering at Tiger Direct:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=637291&Sku=I74-1492%20P&CatId=1064

(hopefully that will remain clickable)

I mean, I could have gone for a faster machine, but I was not sure if
it would be Linux-friendly. The one comment I got from that guy from
France was an eye opener, as were the problems others have had with
APM and ACPI...problems severe enough to get Linus Torvalds himself
interested in it. However, the 600E has a long track record of being
one of the easiest laptops for Linux. I think that Alan Cox still
hacks away on his, and my friend Chad Page is happy with his own 600E
366MHz.

Apparently the only gotcha remaining with this machine is audio.

I am likely going to use Mandrake Linux 9.1 and upgrade to 9.2 once
LinuxCentral.Com gets their pressed CDs out. (Yes, I know, buying the
official disks supports Mandrake. I have a 9.1 DVD I bought from
them. I think I'm going to wait for a while before I plunk down more
money again, particularly if it turns out that these ads coming in
9.2 are more intrusive than MandrakeSoft claims they will be. I might
wind up switching to Knoppix if it is.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll keep you all posted on my adventures.

-.\\<-H-