[ltp] USB ports

Paul Kaplan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:59:11 -0400

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 stock kernel (2.4.21mdk).  The USB ports (2.0) on the
machine seem to work, but those on the port replicator are dead as are those
on an external 2.0 hub plugged into the machine ports. Interestingly, the 1.1
port on my external keyboard is live as long as the keyboard is plugged into
the machine port.  Even though the machine based ports are live, they don't
function as plug 'n play...if devices are not plugged into the ports during
the boot process, they are never seen by the running OS.  It is also
interesting that the external ports are active while the BIOS is calling
LILO...they only die after the kernel loads.
Any knowledge out there on how to activate the hub based ports and how to make
them true pnp.
TIA
Paul