[ltp] New 770 user

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:56:13 -0400

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 14:45, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> Brad Langhorst wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 23:47, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> >

> >you'll be best served by googling for one of the linux on tp770 pages...
> >
> That was the first thing I did before posting here. All of the pages Ive
> seen deal
> with old kernels, old versions of Redhat. Im running RH9...
most of the stuff doesn't change much ...
sound configs, x configs,kernel configs , etc.
should all be usable as a guide to get you stared with any distribution.

> >you need to pass vga=0x### on the kernel boot line
> >or some such value
> >(look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb.txt for the actual value for
> >your resolution etc.)
> >
> Im using grub - all of the pages Ive seen talk about doing this with lilo...
> Ive read the grub documentation and Im not much wiser...
those parameters are passed to the kernel as command line arguments
so it doesn't matter whether lilo or grub is doing the passing
in grub you write
kernel /path/to/kernel root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x###
while in lilo you do
append = "vga=0x###'
same end result

> Of course, I mentioned I could easily do this, but I think this is a bug...
yeah - i don't know why they do that.

I really liked my 770E - great machine - enjoy!

brad