[ltp] quieter harddrive for the thinkpad 240?

Kacper Wysocki linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:08:37 -0400

On 10/17/03 06:17:36, Sven Dowideit wrote:
> hey there,
> just to make sure, have you used hdparm (or powertweak soon) to set
> the
> hard-drive's acoustic management paramter?
>
> i mean hdparm -M 128 /dev/hda
>
> on my T21 i found that to make a huge difference

No, in fact I didn't know there _was_ an acoustic management parameter,
but setting this to any value (between 128 and 254, as indicated by the
hdparm manual) yeilds the message:
(in this example the command was 'hdparm -M 200 /dev/hda')
"/dev/hda:
 setting acoustic management to 200
 HDIO_SET_ACOUSTIC failed: Input/output error
 HDIO_SET_ACOUSTIC failed: Input/output error"

so I'm thinking the thinkpad 240 doesn't have that technology.

hdparm -y will suspend the disk, but not for long as the system doesn't
seem to want to leave the disk alone.

Cheers,
-Kacper