[ltp] quieter harddrive for the thinkpad 240?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:59:16 -0400

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:13:50 -0400
Kacper Wysocki <kacperw@online.no> wrote:

> Hi all!

> I haven't posted here in a while- I own a thinkpad 240, and the thing
> about it I like the most is the size. But that's beside the point.
>
> Is it possible to get a quieter harddrive for the 240? Or are all
> laptop harddrives that loud? Does a standard laptop harddrive fit? Does

Any 9mm hard drive should fit.  I upgraded the drive in my 240 to a 40GB
5400 RPM Hitachi, and it's WONDERFUL.

#hdparm -t -T /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.54 seconds = 83.12 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.70 seconds = 23.70 MB/sec

This drive's currently in a 366 MHz 240.

It's several times faster than the original hard drive (very noticable
speed boost loading all applications) and almost completely silent.  The
drive cost a little over$100US. I bought the drive off Ebay.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/