[ltp] quieter harddrive for the thinkpad 240?

Ken Firestone linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:53:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Kacper Wysocki wrote:

   Hi all!

   I haven't posted here in a while- I own a thinkpad 240, and the thing
   about it I like the most is the size. But that's beside the point.

   Is it possible to get a quieter harddrive for the 240? Or are all
   laptop harddrives that loud? Does a standard laptop harddrive fit? Does
   anyone here have a good source for new/used laptop parts in Canada?
   Price is a constraint, the space requirement is between 6 and 10 GB.

   I know a good deal about desktop hardware, but I didn't know a thing
   about laptop hardware until recently, and all my assumptions have
   proven wrong so far, so if someone can point me in the right direction
   that'd be great.

Putting a new drive into the 240 is pretty easy. I put a standard
laptop 20 gig into mine a few years ago. The only limit is the
thickness, so check this first. My 20 cost less than $150 US. As for
quiet, I don't notice any noise except for a click once in a while.

Ken Firestone, W3CAT     | For every problem there is one solution
kenf@speakeasy.net	 |  which is simple, neat, and wrong.
ken@firestone.net        |   -- H. L. Mencken