[ltp] New 770 user

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:15:56 -0400

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:55:13 -0400
Brad Langhorst <brad@langhorst.com> wrote:

> i don't know if redhat compiles it in...
> but you probably want to compile the kernel yourself anyway

Actually, if you're running Redhat 9 on a 770-series machine (I've tried
the 770X and 770Z), I can't think of anything you'd want to recompile the
kernel for (unless you just want to try to break stuff :) ).  With the
shipped kernel,

Sound works. (cs4232.o)
Modem works. (mwave.o module is shipped, and you only need to compile the
rest of the driver)
APM works.  Suspend and hibernate, so long as you have a FAT partition
for the hibernation file and set it up properly.
USB works.
PCMCIA works.

What would he get by recompiling the kernel?

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/