[ltp] Total lockup on a T40

pete hilton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:17:50 -0700

Hi there,
        I have a T40 modul 58U ... 1.3GHz processor, 1440x1050 display
I have a 40G drive and 768M of memory.

At random times the whole machine just locks up solid ... no response
from any key combination .. big red switch time.  This happens using
Windows 2000, Redhat 9, Slackware 9 and 9.1 .. with Linux it is always
when I have Xwindows running.  It appears to be triggered when I am
moving the mouse (the little joystick thingy in the keyboard) and when
there is much CPU activity but I wouldnt swear to this .. it may be
just that this is when I realise it has happened).  A (possibly)
related symptom might be that when I get out of Xwindows and into the
standard login shell the display is not reset quite right ... I have
to logout and then log back in to fix it.

The lockup is happening often enough that it is interfering with my
work but not in any way that I can predict.  Is anyone else seeing
this or have I got a lemon ... it would be nice to know before I go do
battle with IBM Service to try and get it fixed.

cheers
pete

--
pete hilton