[ltp] Total lockup on a T40

Carl Nygard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
19 Oct 2003 22:34:52 -0400

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 22:17, pete hilton wrote:
> Hi there,
>         I have a T40 modul 58U ... 1.3GHz processor, 1440x1050 display
> I have a 40G drive and 768M of memory.
>
> At random times the whole machine just locks up solid ... no response
> from any key combination .. big red switch time.  This happens using
> Windows 2000, Redhat 9, Slackware 9 and 9.1 .. with Linux it is always
> when I have Xwindows running.  It appears to be triggered when I am
> moving the mouse (the little joystick thingy in the keyboard) and when
> there is much CPU activity but I wouldnt swear to this .. it may be
> just that this is when I realise it has happened).  A (possibly)
> related symptom might be that when I get out of Xwindows and into the
> standard login shell the display is not reset quite right ... I have
> to logout and then log back in to fix it.
>
> The lockup is happening often enough that it is interfering with my
> work but not in any way that I can predict.  Is anyone else seeing
> this or have I got a lemon ... it would be nice to know before I go do
> battle with IBM Service to try and get it fixed.

Since you see it with Windows as well as (different flavors of) Linux,
I'd guess hardware problem.  Specifically, either RAM is bad (did you
buy your own?  If so, see fabrice bellet's howto, he had RAM problems as
well)  or perhaps your CPU is overheating?

But as I said, these are just guesses...

--
Carl Nygard <cjnygard@fast.net>