[ltp] T40, memtes86, blank blue screen, Bellet's memtest86 patch

otisg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:10:48 -0400

Hello,

Joel was right - the provided ISO acts the same way as
precomp.bin provided in the Memtest86 distribution. :(

Would anyone happen to have a version of Memtest86 that runs
properly with T40s?

I would really appreciate it if somebody could provide this.  I
can also put this up on a publically accessible web site for
others to download, if bandwidth is a concern.

I also tried using http://ultimatebootcd.com/, however,
Memtest86 included on it acts the same way as precomp.bin as
well :(

Thank you,
Otis

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Joel Ebel (jbebel@ncsu.edu) wrote:

> I had the same symptom running the unpatched version available
from the
> memtest website.  I tried to apply the patch, and then
realized it
> expected an older version of gcc to compile properly.  I
installed gcc
> 2.95.3 and memtest compiled and worked fine for me.  I imagine
the
> available boot cd will work just the same as the precomp.bin.
>
> Joel
>
> Victor Pechorin wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 15:15, otisg wrote:
> >
> >>I'm trying to run memtest86 on my T40 to test its memory
modules
> >>(daily crashes story).
> >>
> >>I applied Mr. Bellet's patch:
> >>http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/t40.html#memory_problems
> >>and added Memtest to Grub bootloader.
> >

> >>Are others having more luck with Memtest86 3.0 on T40
models?