[ltp] T40, memtes86, blank blue screen, Bellet's memtest86 patch

Szakacsits Szabolcs linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:42:22 +0300 (MET DST)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Fabrice Bellet wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 01:10:48PM -0400, otisg wrote:
> >
> > Would anyone happen to have a version of Memtest86 that runs
> > properly with T40s?
> >
> > I would really appreciate it if somebody could provide this.  I
> > can also put this up on a publically accessible web site for
> > others to download, if bandwidth is a concern.
>
> gcc-2.95 seems to be required. gcc3 fails to compile it, but even
> when the compilation errors are fixed (RedHat Rawhide provides
> it, and fixes the compilations errors with gcc3), the resulting
> image doesn't run (it only prints 'Memtest-86 3.0' and freezes,
> like you described it previously).

I also tried to fix memtest86 with gcc3 several ways but it always froze
just as both of you described previously.

However precomp.bin from the memtest86 package and the one compiled with
your patch and gcc-2.95 worked fine. Unfortunately it didn't find any
memory error as I expected (I've never seen any "spectacular" sign of it).

	Szaka