[ltp] backing up a laptop

Kacper Wysocki linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:04:35 -0400

This is slightly related to my previous post on harddrive noise:
I'm thinking of getting a quieter laptop harddrive, and as I'm thinking
about it I figure I should know how to back up the harddrive and
restore my data onto the new harddrive.

I was thinking of doing this by mounting a NFS partition and using dd
to make a disk image of the drive, then find a linux-on-a-floppy distro
that supports my pcmcia network card and nfs, and dd the file back onto
the harddrive. I see two problems with this:
firstly, the partition information might get screwy. I'd just copy the
partition, not the whole drive, but I'd have to do some funky stuff
resizing the partition to use the rest of the (potentially larger)
drive.
secondly, fiding a linux-floppy that supports pcmcia and nfs might be
challenging.

Maybe tar would be a better idea instead of dd, but do any of you have
better ideas? I'd appreciate suggestions for how to do this backup-
restore.

Cheers,
	Kacper