[ltp] success story: Thinkpad T23

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:41:35 +0200

Hei guys,

I'm just happy that I got virtually everything to work under linux on my
T23
and so feel like writing this here.

I installed a LFS system (my 6th one or so) and found the T23 the most
completely linux support hardware piece I ever did build an LFS on.

Things I brought to work:

- core notebook ;-)
- apm
- ultrabay cd/rw & floppy (didn't take care about hot-/warmswapping so
far)
- x11 (unfortunately so far without xinerama & dri - and it crashes
sometimes when switching back from vt)
- sound (kernel i810 drivers - alsa was behaving strange)
- internal lan
- pcmcia
- usb
- irda
- all other ports (except ultraport - don't have hardware yet to test
it)
- trackpoint
- special thinkpad buttons
- thinklight (surprise surprise ;-) )
- docking station type 2631 (tested everything except hot-/warm-docking
and
internal pci-port)

extras working:

- wacom digitizer ii tablet (U-1212-R)
- canon powershot s30 via usb
- linkpro wl-2000c wlan pcmcia card
- sony cliegear wlan cf card, using xircom cardcaddy (it's actually an
intel
wireless/pro 2011)
- iomega zip drive parallel port version

things not tried:

- internal modem
- internal wireless (my version doesn't have builtin antenna :-/ )
- ultraport
- hot-/warm-swapping/-docking
- docks pcmcia port (although i'm convinced they are working because the
kernel registers them correctly)
- docks internal pci port
- internal microphone
- kensington lock ( ;-) )

things not working:
- acpi ( :-/ )

Did i forget something?

If interested you can find more info on:
http://www.subspace2000.de/andre/linux/hardware/t23linux.htm .

BTW: if somebody could help me with the X crashing problem, I'd
appreciate
that. I'm running Xfree86 4.3.0
with the distributed savage 1.0.26t. I know there's X 4.3.0.1 and savage
1.0.27t, just didn't try updating yet. If I'd be sure what it is I'd do
so.

And I have another (off-topic) problem: I'm usually mailing with
evolution,
but recently it doesn't want to send mails anymore. Just tells me "MAIL
FROM
response error: Command not implemented". Did find something about a
glibc
but through google, but since it worked in the beginning and I didn't do
anything with my glibc i'm a bit confused about it.

regards,
Andre.