[ltp] Installing SuSE 8.2 on TP 240

Hartmut Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:28:02 +0200

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2003 05:03 schrieb Ted Wiseman:

> I'm still looking for help to resolve a problem installing SuSE 8.2 on a
> Thinkpad 240 (300MHz Celeron / 192MB RAM) using a PCMCIA CDROM
> (Panasonic KXL-D740).
>
> I recently replaced the 240's original hard drive with a new 20GB drive.
> On the 240's original hard drive I installed Suse 7.2 using the above
> PCMCIA CD drive. CD drive was recognized, install was successful.
>
> I bought SuSE 8.2 to install on the new drive. Since 8.2 is not packaged
> with floppy disks, I created boot and module floppies from the 8.2 CD
> per SuSE's instructions. During install, I can get as far as enabling
> PCMCIA chip support after inserting modules floppies 1 and 4, but then
> the 8.2 install process halts with an error message that it can't find
> the SuSE CD.

Might be worth trying with the additional boot paarmeter
"cdromdevice=sr0" (that's not a normal kernel paramater, but one that is
interpreted by linuxrc of the install system). I just hope I remember it
right.

> Under System Information / Harddisks CDRom (on the install menu) the
> CDROM drive appears to be correctly identified as follows:
>
>      SCSI:      CDROM: MATSHITAKME CD-ROM02  Rev 1.05
>                 Host:  scsi0  channel:00  Id:05  lun:00
>
> but for some reason it's not being activated.

Sure? Or are you basing this (only) on the fact that the SUSE install CD is
not recognised?

Have you still got 7.2 installes? If so, please try and see if you can read
the 1st CD of SL 8.2 corectly.

  http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2001/07/hmeyer_install_media.html

> SuSE's installation support does not cover PCMCIA issues, but they
> suggested the problem may be related to ACPI, and emailed me a support
> article on modifying kernel parameters for ACPI on installation.
> http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/81_acpi.html
>
> On succesive installation attempts I've tried each of the kernel
> parameters the article mentions (acpi=off; acpi=oldboot; acpi=force;
> pci=noacpi) but none of those options result in the PCMCIA CDROM drive
> being activated for installation.
>
> If anyone has experience dealing with this or a similar problem
> installing on a Thinkpad w/o internal CD drive, I'd appreciate any ideas
> or help. Having installed version 7.2 with this same CD drive and
> laptop, I'm hoping there's a way to make it work with version 8.2

I'd still suggest a network install.

Greetings from Bremen
hartmut