[ltp] More Sound Problems on Thinkpad 770z with Linux mdk

Analabha Roy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:14:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

  Thanks again for your help with setting up sound in my laptop. I was not getting any
sound on my 770Z and, on the basis of your recommendation, I looked at the instructions
posted by IBM (http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html), disabled quick
boot in the BIOS settings and used sndconfig to set the IO IRQ & DMA parameters of the
driver (CS4232). I got perfect sound. When I rebooted, I saw at the runlevel status
messages that CS4232 had loaded , but when I logged in and tried to play an mp3, the
sound hung (kept repeating the first few notes). The same was true for mpeg audio, but
audio cd's were playing okay. I ran sndconfig again as root & saw that the IO IRQ & DMA
parameters for CS4232 were all wrong, and no longer set to the value that I had put them
to before I saved & rebooted. My current modules.conf file (I reset the params in
sndconfig & got sound again) is:

probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

 I rebooted again & the same thing happened. How do I make sure that the abovementioned
settings hold? Do I fiddle with sys init editor and move the execution of insmod cs4232
at an earlier runlevel?

Thanks,
AR