[ltp] Installing SuSE 8.2 on TP 240

Ted Wiseman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:48:26 -0700

Hartmut Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2003 05:03 schrieb Ted Wiseman:
>

>>I'm still looking for help to resolve a problem installing SuSE 8.2 on a
>>Thinkpad 240 (300MHz Celeron / 192MB RAM) using a PCMCIA CDROM
>>(Panasonic KXL-D740).
>>
>>I recently replaced the 240's original hard drive with a new 20GB drive.
>>On the 240's original hard drive I installed Suse 7.2 using the above
>>PCMCIA CD drive. CD drive was recognized, install was successful.
>>
>>I bought SuSE 8.2 to install on the new drive. Since 8.2 is not packaged
>>with floppy disks, I created boot and module floppies from the 8.2 CD
>>per SuSE's instructions. During install, I can get as far as enabling
>>PCMCIA chip support after inserting modules floppies 1 and 4, but then
>>the 8.2 install process halts with an error message that it can't find
>>the SuSE CD.
>

> Might be worth trying with the additional boot paarmeter
> "cdromdevice=sr0" (that's not a normal kernel paramater, but one that is
> interpreted by linuxrc of the install system). I just hope I remember it
> right.

tried ... still no go

>>Under System Information / Harddisks CDRom (on the install menu) the
>>CDROM drive appears to be correctly identified as follows:
>>
>>     SCSI:      CDROM: MATSHITAKME CD-ROM02  Rev 1.05
>>                Host:  scsi0  channel:00  Id:05  lun:00
>>
>>but for some reason it's not being activated.
>

> Sure? Or are you basing this (only) on the fact that the SUSE install CD is
> not recognised?

I was basing it on the fact that the SuSE install CD does not spin at
any time during the install process.  Error message is "Can't find the
SUSE CD"

> Have you still got 7.2 installes? If so, please try and see if you can read
> the 1st CD of SL 8.2 corectly.
>
>   http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2001/07/hmeyer_install_media.html

This is a brand new hard drive. I had 7.2 on the drive that I removed,
but before removing it was able to read the contents of the 1st CD of SL
8.2. And I used that CD to make the boot and modules floppies for
installing.

> I'd still suggest a network install.

I've never done a network install, but do have a PCMCIA network adapter.
  What steps would I follow to do this on a hard drive which only has MS
DOS installed on it?

> Greetings from Bremen
> hartmut

Thanks for your help,