[ltp] Installing SuSE 8.2 on TP 240

Hartmut Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:13:49 +0200

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2003 20:48 schrieb Ted Wiseman:
> Hartmut Meyer wrote:

> > Might be worth trying with the additional boot paarmeter
> > "cdromdevice=sr0" (that's not a normal kernel paramater, but one that is
> > interpreted by linuxrc of the install system). I just hope I remember it
> > right.
>
> tried ... still no go

I had checked by now: "cdromdevice=sr0" was right.

> >>Under System Information / Harddisks CDRom (on the install menu) the
> >>CDROM drive appears to be correctly identified as follows:
> >>
> >>     SCSI:      CDROM: MATSHITAKME CD-ROM02  Rev 1.05
> >>                Host:  scsi0  channel:00  Id:05  lun:00
> >>
> >>but for some reason it's not being activated.
> >
> > Sure? Or are you basing this (only) on the fact that the SUSE install CD
> > is not recognised?
>
> I was basing it on the fact that the SuSE install CD does not spin at
> any time during the install process.  Error message is "Can't find the
> SUSE CD"
>
> > Have you still got 7.2 installes? If so, please try and see if you can
> > read the 1st CD of SL 8.2 corectly.
> >
> >   http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2001/07/hmeyer_install_media.html
>
> This is a brand new hard drive. I had 7.2 on the drive that I removed,
> but before removing it was able to read the contents of the 1st CD of SL
> 8.2. And I used that CD to make the boot and modules floppies for
> installing.

No proof, but it's true: sounds like there is no physical problem with that
install CD.

> > I'd still suggest a network install.
>
> I've never done a network install, but do have a PCMCIA network adapter.
> What steps would I follow to do this on a hard drive which only has MS
> DOS installed on it?

I have no clue about DOS or Windows.

What you need is a FTP or NFS server (OS shouldn't matter) that exports the
content of at least the first CD. My suggestion would be to start something
like Knoppix on another computer and configure the NFS server there to export
the CD-ROM (or even better the DVD-ROM) drive.

Greetings from Bremen
hartmut