[ltp] success story: Thinkpad T23

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:06:15 +0300

--oTHb8nViIGeoXxdp

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 01:41:35PM +0200, Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote:
> I'm just happy that I got virtually everything to work under linux on my
> T23 and so feel like writing this here.

I'm also a T23 owner (model 2647-BJG).  Love the thing.

> Things I brought to work:
> - x11 (unfortunately so far without xinerama & dri - and it crashes
> sometimes when switching back from vt)

I've XFree86 4.2.1.1 (Debian 4.2.1-12.1 20031003005825
james@nocrew.org).  Savage driver version is 1.1.26 (Debian tends to
backport fixes from CVS; upstram 4.2.1 had 1.1.23t according to
http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html).

No DRI (and googling does not give much hope that it would ever be
supported), haven't tried Xinerama, but also no problems at all
switching between console/X.

I have experienced occasional PS/2 port lockups when switching from a
text vt to X on my desktop though.  The keyboard and mouse would be dead
(IRQ 1 counter stayed still in /proc/interrupts), but the machine would
work otherwise, and I could ssh into it and unwedge it by calling chvt.

I seem to remember that disabling gpm improved things a lot.  Can't say
for sure, it was a long time since I've used the Linux console (UTF-8
support is just not there yet).

> - sound (kernel i810 drivers - alsa was behaving strange)

I use ALSA (0.9.6) without problems -- or almost without problems.  I
remember having to hack the init/apm scripts a bit to save/restore mixer
settings properly.

In my case lspci identifies the sound card as Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM
AC'97 Audio Controller.  ALSA mentions Cirrus Logic CS4299 rev 6 as
well.

> - irda

SIR or FIR mode?  I never managed to hotsync my Palm faster than about 6
kbytes/s (according to /proc/net/dev).

> - apm

I have experienced freezes in /etc/apm/event.d/00hwclock several seconds
after a resume.  For some reason hwclock tends to crash the system even
when it only reads the clock too, after the first suspend/resume cycle.

> Did i forget something?

cpufreq?  I downclocked my 866 Pentium III to 665 MHz, and now it
almost never needs to turn the fan on during normal use.  I only wish I
could find a way to reduce disk access so it could spin down without
spinning back up almost immediatelly. I'm regretting my choice of
reiserfs here -- neither noflushd nor the laptop patch support it,
AFAIU.

> If interested you can find more info on:
> http://www.subspace2000.de/andre/linux/hardware/t23linux.htm .

  "Under Linux there is no utility to set or unset the silent mode, so
  you will need the Wi*dows tools for that."

Do you know about setcd?  Works like a charm.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
> I'm not sure what makes a given poem 'modern'...

Well, one characteristic sometimes found is... to put it politely...
creative typography.  Very creative typography.
	-- Henry Spencer on the chores of typesetting modern poetry

--oTHb8nViIGeoXxdp

--oTHb8nViIGeoXxdp--