[ltp] Removing the pre-desktop area

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:49:01 -0400

Well, if you have already a working linux distro on the machine there are a
variety of ways to do it...

One would be to simply dd the partion contents to a file, something like

dd -if=/dev/hda0 -of=/somewhere/with/enough/space

Not sure about block size, you MAY need to do something like -bs=512, but I
think the default will work. You can test your nice shiny backup by mounting
it loopback, assuming its a readable file system type. I guess the only other
way to test if it works would be to restore it, maybe to a spare HD. Note of
course that you will also need to monkey with the partion table in this case.

Mondo also contains an option to backup non-linux partitions and claims to be
able to restore them. I really haven't tested that feature, but it seems like
a pretty well made piece of software. My guess is it will do the job.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain