[ltp] Question Regarding hard drive migratoin

Analabha Roy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:21:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

  If I want to upgrade to a newer larger HDD with greater RPM, & want to transfer all the
conents of my current IBM DCYA-214000 (IDE int, primary channel) hd, then if I put my new
hd in a USB casing (USB is enabled in my linux kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk) & do "dd blah" &
then put it in after removing my old hdd, will that be enough? Because I also need to
transfer the first sector(s) of my MBR and such so that the bootloader and the thinkpad
BIOS etc configuration dialog are also transferred. I don't have a floppy drive so I
can't boot from a floppy. I do have an external cd burner & a bootable DVD ROM drive. Can
I transfer the contents of my MBR to Q blank cd & then use "fdisk" or something to
restore it once my new hdd is up after I boot from that cd?

Thanks,
AR