[ltp] Question Regarding hard drive migratoin

Michael Olbrich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:37:24 +0200

Hi,

I would nor recommend to copy a runningg system . That might indroduce
inconsistancies. And never use dd unless you have identical disks.
I would suggest the following:

1. Boot a knoppix (www.knoppix.net)
2. mount all partitions on the right hirarchy (/ to /old, /home to
   /old/home etc.)
3. Partition and format the new disk. Knoppix should be able to handle
   usb devices.
4. mount the new partitions to /new etc.
5. cp -a /old/* /new/
6. switch the disks.
7. boot knoppix again
8. mount the new partitions and chroot to the new base dir.
9. install you boot loader
10. boot the new system

You may be able to skip chroot. Some tools to install a boot loader can
handle that.

Michael