[ltp] 600x

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:31:06 -0700

Adam wrote:

>Saturday, October 25, 2003, 7:50:44 PM, you wrote:
>

>>>Can someone tell me what is involved to install Red Hat Linux on a
>>>Thinkpad 600x?  Has it been done before?
>>>

>>No, it's never been done. Nobody has ever used search engines before either.
>>

>Yep. One small step..
>

>>See:
>>http://www.io.com/~manoj/linux-tp600x/
>>

>I could find some web pages before, general like. On Thinkpads. On
>Linux.
>
>Found this web page. It has a lot of observations. I was looking more
>for just the list of hardware that the OS wants to know.

First, the 600E (I have one of these) is Linux certified with the
notable exception of the bilt-in "Win-modem".

The following URL at IBM discusses installing RH 6.0 and gives good
guidelines for installing any version of Red Hat.
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q=2645+Linux+Installation&uid=psg1MIGR-4BP6Q6&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en

There is one thing that is not discussed and that is the Lucent WinModem
drivers for Red Hat.  I suggest connecting with the Lucent WinModem
support site at:

http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/

This site is run to provide Open Source support for the Lucent WinModem
that is used in the 600 series Thinkpad computers.

>This seems too old to know what of the paragraphs you can trust. First
>it says there is some BIOS bug. But who knows if that's real. Maybe it
>refers to the ancient software I don't have.

This bug was fixed a long time ago.  I always recommend installing the
latest BIOS upgrade as they fix more problems than those experienced by
Linux users.  Always read the fix list before downloading and installing
the upgrade.

>It talks about partitioning. See, I don't want to bother with that
>right now. You probably have to buy other software.

You will have to consider partitioning at the start or you will spend
alot more time 'fixing' problems with your installation.  You also have
to provide for space for the eventual installation of WindowsXP.

>I was going to install Windows today. But then I couldn't find the product
>key.  So I try Red Hat 9.0.  I am just asking if some people here have
>done this before.  Even guys or gals untouched from the flush of
>electrons.

The Product Key should be attached to your Thinkpad if you are
installing the same version of Windows if it is Windows2000 or greater.
If the version is Windows95, Windows98, WindowsNT or WindowsME, the key
is on the front cover of the user's manual which came with your Thinkpad.

James McKenzie