[ltp] T23 and Suse Live Eval disk?

Syd Hancock linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:11:18 +0100

This is a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. When I
first got my T23 I tried a Suse 8.1 Live Evaluation disk in it and
what happened when it went past the opening screen was really
scary.

The machine totally locked up with a blank screen, the green leds
were flashing, the fan came on and the hot air was really hot and
smelled of hot electronics... the thing was totally locked up and
not even the power button would do anything. I really thought it
was totally fried (lm_sensors was the first thing I thought of) but
thankfully after a few minutes the fan stopped and I was able to
power it up again and take the CD out.

Since then I have installed mandrake 9.1 with no problems (except
the minor glitch of getting a video driver) and has run perfectly
ever since. Knoppix no probelms either (and it has the correct
video driver too).

But it has put me right off Suse which I would actully like to try
out. Has anyone else seen this and/or does anyone have any
comments?

Syd
Norwich UK