[ltp] 600x

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:26:04 -0600

Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:

>> No, it's never been done. Nobody has ever used search engines before
>> either.
>>

> That was uncalled for, Wes. Read this:
>
> http://slashdot.org/~MsGeek/journal/18708
>
> You might have just turned a newbie off to Linux.
>
> -.\\<-H-

Oh, I'm sorry. But really, having been through the reading required to
get a TP 600E working properly under Linux, and before some of the pages
I linked to were written, I think that some coming along and asking for
special, up to date, complete instructions, written just for them, is
asking a bit much. He asked a vague general question and while my reply
was sarcastic, I did link to several pages that collectively contain
more than enough information to get everything working on his 600X. When
he replied that he had indeed seen at least one of those pages but
didn't think that the information was good enough for him I knew he was
asking for more help than I had time to give, so I kept quiet. You can
lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. As for the sarcasm,
I was hoping that the person would read "yes, many people have installed
Linux on all manner of thinkpads, including the 600X, and if you google
a bit you will find much information to guide you, but here's a few
pages with content specific to the 600X to get you started". I'm sure
you would have rather I said that in the first place, but I didn't see
any other replies and my note did elicit a more detailed followup so I
don't think too much damage was done.

Oh, and 288MB in a 600E is not maxed out. With the current (final?) BIOS
you can stick in a pair of 256MB SODIMMs in and get 544MB. Yeah, I
didn't read enough either and have 288MB in mine too. :-)

wes