[ltp] fn key

Carl Friedberg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:31:50 -0500

I believe I've brought this up before. The newer IBM ThinkPad keyboards
have changed the way the Fn key works. Prior to the T40, and certainly
for earlier version of the A2x, 390X, and I15xx, the Fn key, when held
down as a shift-like key, enabled transmitting a subset of the keyboard
as the numeric keypad (with the same scan codes you get from a 104-key
PC keyboard, from the keypad). With the T40, this no longer works; you
must use SHIFT-ScrLk (there's a small NumLk printed above) to get
the numeric keypad keys, but that disables those keys until you unlock
the thing, which is not the desired behavior.

If you want to see how this actually works, I believe Kermit will
help you with the

show key

command.

I've tried to get IBM support to address this, but they just plain
don't get it...

Sorry,

Carl Friedberg
carl dot ibm at comets dot com