[ltp] 600x DVD

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:07:10 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:29:22 -0600 (CST)
> Satish Balay <balay@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > I have the following entry for the DVD (without CD-RW) on an old 600E
> > running redhat-rawhide.
>
> > I think 'kudzu' in the fstab entry indicates that the line is
> > modifiable by kudzu (when it detects hardware changes at boot time). I
> > can't claim DVD works on this machine. I do get audio, but no video -
> > and I suspect it is disabled by xine - as the cpu/graphics resources
> > are not sufficient.
>
> Odd, that.  Can you play VideoCDs on that system?  Even my old 380XD
> (233 MHz Pentium, 96M RAM) can do VideoCDs.  If you can't, it might be a
> configuration error rather than your system not being up to the task.  My
> old 600(no E, PII/266) also had no trouble with VideoCD.
>
> I've also played back DVDs successfully on a Thinkpad 770X(PII/300).  I
> found that playback was a LOT smoother on that 770X using Ogle rather than
> mplayer or xine.

I was able to play DVD on this machine with some earlier versions of
redhat - with hand comiled xine which I tried a long time ago.

The canned version didn't work when I tired with rh9+xine from
freshrpms. Currently I have the same setup (redhat-rawhide +
rpm.livna.org) on both 600E and T40 - DVD works on T40 (xine/ogle). On
the 600E xine gives audio but no video - and ogle gives the following
error:
X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

BTW: I test with a DVD - don't have VCD to test. And I'm not trying to
solve this problem on the 600E. I've now delegated the machine for
other tasks.

Satish