[ltp] System performance

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:10:38 +0000

So,
click RedHat button -> Run Program -> type 'xterm' -> click Run
doesn't work? Does it give an error message?

Try also RedHat button -> System Tools -> Terminal

At least one of these should give you a window with a prompt.

For example, if you type 'ls'  (without the quotes), you should see your
files listed, and if you type 'date', it should show the date).

At this prompt, do:

1) type 'cat /etc/hosts'   and tell us what it says.

2) type 'su' [enter] '<your root password>' [enter]
'dmesg > dmesg.txt' [enter].  Then copy or attach that file.

Richard

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.