[ltp] Response to apm on Linux Mandrake 9.1 in an IBM Thinkpad 770z

Analabha Roy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:23:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

   I have just configured apm in the kernel (2.4.21-0.13mdkcustom) & made a new bzImage
and booted into it. I am using the graphical front end "klaptop" to access apm. Now I
need to be able to run the commands when not root (as my nonroot user). So this is what I
did:

made a special group 'grp' (say), the only member to which is 'me-non-root'

chgrp grp /usr/bin/apm
chown me-non-root.grp /usr/bin/apm
chmod 4710 /usr/bin/apm

Now I can access the 'suspend' & 'standby' options in the klaptop graphical widgets.

 I have 2 questions:

1. I read that doing the above can create a root security hole if apm has any buffer
overflows. How do I monitor this?

2. When I tested the suspend & standby options, nothing visible happened. The laptop did
not power down as it normally does in windows. I read that different hardware respond
differently to apm commands. How are thinkpads supposed to respond and, if that's not the
above, then what could be wrong?

 Please do help.
Thanks,
AR