[ltp] Noisy hard disk

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:08:46 +0100

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 04:37, Abhishek Tiwari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently bought a T40 23734CU, 40 GB 4200 rpm
> hdd, 512 MB RAM, Intel Pentium M 1.5 Ghz. I am running
> Debian Linux and Win Xp on it.

Did you buy it brand new?

> I feel that the hard disk is making some noise. It is
> more than the other models of IBM like R40. i have not
> seen any other t40s so am not sure if the hard disk is
> defective or all t40s come with a 'noisy' hard disk.

If the drive model is a IC25N040AT.... it should be quiet normally
(hdparm -i /devhda and look for the Model= entry).
(What noise is it making? To my experiences IBM drives usually make
noise on disk access, but are quiet concerning normal spin noise.)

If your's is loud I'm afraid you will not have much luck trying to get
it replaced. I tried to get a noisy drive replaced some weeks ago and
they told me that noise is not a warranty issue. But then you can always
destroy your drive and have it replaced. ;-)

André.