[ltp] More Sound Problems on Thinkpad 770z with Linux mdk| Problem with APM (still a newbie)

James P. K. Gilb linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:50:40 -0800

Hi

You are probably having problems with your kernel config because
although you followed the instructions for APM, you probably need to set
other configuration settings (the default configuration when you start
make xconfig is not necessarily the configuration you are running).

For the DVD and CDRW you might check to see if SCSI was enabled (RW
drives like to be accessed through ide-scsi).  Also make sure USB
support was included.

Make sure you enable vfat support in the filesystems dialog.  It can be
a module (but make sure you compile in ext3 or reiserfs or whatever
filesystems you use for / and /usr).

As for setuid, use man chmod. I know, that is obvious isn't it?" :):)

I think the command you are looking for is:

chmod u+s /usr/bin/apm

Which adds setuid for the user and chmod g+s for the group (+ adds a
permission, e.g. w for write and s for setuid).

I hadn't thought of that, I have been doing su <passwd> apm -s for
suspend for some time (becuase as a user I didn't have permissions.)  I
did the chmod above and it works!  Hey, I answered a question and solved
one of my own problems.

BTW: Adding setuid to programs can be a dangerous thing, so use it
sparingly.

James Gilb