[ltp] Re: cpudyn, cpufreqd, apmiser

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:04:39 +1000

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003, Brad Langhorst wrote:
> I've just got 2.6.0 working on my T40p
> (apm mode with vesa framebuffer at the moment)

[...]

> cpudyn just says
>
> cpudynd version 0.4.3 Copyright: Ricardo Galli <gallir@uib.es>
> cpudynd: CPU frequency control disabled
> Error: Nothing to do, exiting

I believe that this requires the 2.5 series sysfs interface to the
cpufreq code. OTOH, this or the 'speedfreq' package give performance on
demand, based on CPU load.

> cpufreqd seems to work

Yes. I tried it, but was unsatisfied: I want to have performance when
the systems needs it, not when I happen to be running a particular
program. For example, my mail reader *occasionally* needs a lot of CPU,
but is idle 99% of the time.

cpufreqd cannot help with this situation.

[...]

> i've not yet recompiled the tpctl stuff so i haven't tried apmiser
> yet...

That never worked for me.

     Daniel

--
Han Solo:      Afraid I was gonna leave without giving you a goodbye kiss?
Princess Leia: I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee!