[ltp] installing linux on IBM tp 600

Romel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Nils Houben wrote:

[snip]
> which linux to install, and where to get it!
[snip]

IBM has published a very good primer on installing RedHat 6.0 on a 600E. I
used it as a guide when I installed RedHat 8.0 on my 600E.
The guide also gives very good pointers on getting the sound and the
built-in modem to work.
IBM Guide to installing RedHat 6.0: http://shorl.com/dadrigrefrostohy

For a quick installation, and small size (you can use 1 GB comfortably),
you can try Morphix (http://morphix.sourceforge.net/).
It's based upon Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/), however Morphix is
quite small, only 185 MB download for the "Lightweight GUI". Also, while
you can use Morphix to run only from CD, installing it on the hard-drive is
extremely simple; there's a built menu item (with script) to install it.
I have yet to get the sound and modem working under Morphix, but it's lack
of time more than anything else.

Good luck!

--
Romel