[ltp] installing linux on IBM tp 600

Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:10:30 +0100

Dear Nils,

I'd personally recommend Mandrake (as being easy to use), and KDE
(again, easier to use). Although lots of people may differ on this!
Knoppix is also wonderful (be warned that it will run a bit slowly
though, as reading from CDROM is much slower than from Hard Disk).
In general, I can give you this advice:

1)Use the most recent Linux. Don't be tempted to install something
ancient - they may be smaller, but are also less functional. It's better
to take a modern distro, and only install exactly the packages you want.

2)You will find the tp4d daemon useful. It allows you to get maximum
sensitivity out of the trackpoint - otherwise, it can be a bit slow.
http://www-hft.ee.tu-berlin.de/~strauman/tp4utils

3)When you partition the drive, think carefully. Normally, the minimum
is /, swap, /home.  But for a very small drive, you might consider
having only the one root partition (and swap) - that way it's easier to
change the balance between programs and your data. Although you can get
better power management out of Ext2 (by using noflushd), ReiserFS is
more reliable - and won't need to fsck.

4)If you want it, it's certainly possible to get hibernate (i.e.
suspend-to-disk) working. But you'll need another partition for it - I
personally don't think it's really worthwhile. (You can still have
suspend-to-RAM anyway).

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard

P.S. There's a lot of useful help on the web. Did you know about
www.google.com/linux ?

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.