[ltp] Wireless network problem

Tony Willoughby linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:26:05 -0400

If I boot my laptop from my linksys DHCP server at home and then try to
boot it at work I sometimes have problems.

I believe the laptop requests the same address it had last time and the
server at work rejects it and gives no adress out.  (I suspect this is a
bug in the server, but I'm not an expert).

When this happens, I delete my laptop's cache
(/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases) and ifup/ifdown the interface.

I'm using RH 9

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 18:12, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Ken Firestone <kenf@speakeasy.net> writes:
>
> > It appears that my computer is unable to get an address from the dhcp
> > server, something the windows computers in the room can do.
>
> Sometimes one dhcp client will work where another won't.  If
> you're using pump, try udhcpc.  If you've tried both of those,
> try dhclient.
> --
> "I don't want to learn the constitution and the declaration of
>  independence (marvelous poetry though it be) by heart, and worship the
>  flag and believe that there is a god and the dollar is its prophet."
> --Maarten Wiltink in the Monastery
Tony Willoughby tonyw@pobox.com "That's cheaper than my Gameboy
Advanced." - My 5 year old describing the cost of a used Pentium PC.