[ltp] External wifi antenna on t40?

James P. K. Gilb linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 23:16:38 -0700

Most of the mini-PCI cards in laptops use diversity (i.e. two antennas).
  The antennas are usually attached via a small co-ax cable with push-on
connectors (which I believe are standard sizes in most cases).

You could try to tap into one of the antenna connectors on the mini-PCI
card, but you would have to either always have an external antenna
attached or you would need to patch in a connector that breaks the other
connection when you plug in your external antenna (this is what they do
on PCMCIA cards that have external antenna jacks).  You don't want to
attach two antennas to the same input without at switch, that would
likely hose your performance.

With two antennas, hopefully the diversity algorithm will pick the
better one, but you may find that it only TXs out of one of the two
antennas, in which case you will want to attach your external antenna to
that connector.

This assumes that they don't have a dedicated RX and TX antennas (I know
of at least one chipset that was going to use this).  In that case, you
would need two external antennas.

Since this is a T40, I would assume that surgery on the case is not a
good idea.  I would suggest a PCMCIA card that takes an external antenna
when you need the extra range or directivity.

BTW: It is possible that you will violate FCC regulations by attaching
an external antenna that was not approved by the manufacturer, most
likely by increasing the out-of-band emissions (there is plenty of room
within the regulations for in-band power, the US allows up to 1 W with
up to 6 dBi antenna gain, i.e. 4 W EIRP, while a typical 802.11 card
transmits between 25 and 50 mW).

James Gilb