[ltp] T30 Hibernate help needed!!

Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:04:51 +0200

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 11:49:42 -0600, Hector Socas Navarro wrote:
> >>5) Does it need to be the 1st or 2nd partition on the disk, or can it be
> >
> >I'm using /dev/hda2, I don't know if it *has* to be. The file was
> >automatically found by the BIOS.
>
> What do you mean "found by the BIOS"?

The OS is not involved in the hibernation process. It seems to me that
a hibernation looks like a suspend to RAM from the operating system's
point of view. The part of the hibernation process where the contents
of the memory are written to the hibernation file (save2dsk.bin) is
controlled by the BIOS. Therefore, the BIOS has to find this file. It
will look for a FAT(16|32) partition that contains the file and check
if it is large enough (yes, the BIOS has the ability to access FAT file
systems). If everything is fine, it will use this file for hibernation.

Since you haven't get hibernation to work yet, could you please mount
the partition that contains your hibernation file and do a

	ls -l save2dsk.bin ; free

and post the output to the list?

Note: If you use Win 2000 or XP, the windows hibernation feature will
be used. This is done by Windows itself, so an NTFS partition can be
used for this and no FAT partition will be needed.

Regards,
Tino