[ltp] ati fireGL 9000

Rick Ree linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
08 Sep 2003 11:05:44 -0500

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 10:38, Oliver Pajonk wrote:
> On Monday 08 September 2003 08:56, Tim Rademacher wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > did anyone gain some experiences with the new ATI-Drivers and the T40P and
> > its FireGL9000?
>
> --> It would be nice if someone could share his/her experience with linux on a
> T40p in general as I am planning to buy this baby the next month and want to
> run a gentoo-linux on it; especially regarding the wireless-module and
> hardware-support in general. I don't want to be forced into using windows to
> get all features working :-(
>
> Regards,
> 	Oliver Pajonk

I run gentoo on a T40 and it's great.  Everything I've tried so far (3D,
irda, internal wifi, usb, etc) work -- the only things I haven't tried
yet are the modem and bluetooth.  I was considering a 15" powerbook but
am glad I got the thinkpad -- it's lighter, has a higher-res screen, and
just feels sturdier overall.  It takes a bit of tweaking to get
everything optimally configured but the payoff is a really excellent
laptop.