[ltp] Sound under RH8 on TP 600X

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:37:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, dan wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a site or an archive date that mentions how to get
> sound operating on a Thinkpad 600X under Redhat 8?

I follow the instructions at
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html for
configuring sound on a 600E - and the instructions work for redhat 9
as well. Don't know if it would be the same for 600X.

basically I have the following in /etc/modules.conf
#################
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
#alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 mpuio=0x330 io=0x530 mpuirq=9 dma=1 irq=5 dma2=0
#####

And the following in /etc/init.d/cs4232

#!/bin/bash
# chkconfig: 345 84 16
PATH=$PATH:/sbin
HOME=/etc
case "$1" in
start)
echo "Starting CS4232 driver"
rmmod cs4232
modprobe cs4232
;;
stop)
echo "Stopping CS4232 driver"
rmmod cs4232
;;
restart)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
status)
echo "Status (NO-OP)"
;;
*)
echo "Usage: cs4232 {start|stop|status|restart}"
exit 1
esac
exit 0

One thing I do before booting into linux is (if I has previously
booted to win2k) is bios -> initialize. Otherwise sound doesn't work
correctly - an the machine freezes randomly.

And after booting up, use gnome-volume-control - to crank up the
volume.

Satish