[ltp] ati fireGL 9000

Lukas Kraehenbuehl linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:35:10 +0200

i'm using mandrake 9.2rc1, their Xfree version has 3d support built-in (only
tested with glxgears and tuxracer, both working)
i just installed ati's driver, it works after a reboot and recognises the card
as firegl 9000. tuxracer works, i will test quake3 or rtcw et soon.
if you want to install ati's driver, first backup your XFree86Config because
it will be overwritten with fglrxconfig's. you must use --force because it
will overwrite some parts of your XFree installation.

there's this warning in readme
23. Laptop
     Suspend / Resume
     Suspending while X is running may cause a system crash. Before suspending
     (i.e. closing the lid or pressing [Fn] + [F4]) please end the X server.

on my desktop computer (ati radeon 9500), ati's driver works, performance is
not very good, rtcw et is working, and if you switch between console and X,
screen is broken sometimes.

good luck
lukas