[ltp] Installing Linux on a TP40 (2373-75U)

mukesh agrawal linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:14:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Paul Kaplan wrote:

> Will turning off the security feature allow PM to work, or is there something
> else about the T40 that is incompatible with PM.  (I've used PM on a W2K box
> at home without problems.)  Are the open source ntfs resizing tools on
> Knoppix or Mandrake any better?  (I don't need to be able to enlarge the ntfs
> partition since I can always make a second one, if necessary.)

The ntfsresize utility in Knoppix worked fine for me. Note that you may
need to run a defragmenter (such as the one included in Windows) to
maximize the contiguous free space at the end of the paritition.

In my case, I was limited in the amount I could shrink the partition. Even
though I only had 9 gigs of data on the 30 gig partition, ntfsresize would
not shrink it to less than 16 gigs. (I think WinXP may have put the
paging file near the middile of the partition.)