[ltp] Installing Linux on a TP40 (2373-75U)

Pio Bättig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:48:51 +0200 (MEST)

Dear Sir

This week, I installed Red Hat Linux 9 on a T40p. I downloaded the diskimage
of the first CD of Mandrake 9.1 and shrunk the partition of XP using the
resize tool. After it was finished I could install RH9 without problems.

Hope that helps
------
I'm looking for some advice.
I have a a 2373-75U which was originally configured by my company w/ W2K on
single 36.5Gb NTFS partition on the 40Gb drive.  The remaining space on the
drive appears to be IBM's hidden partition containing the factory W-XP
restore files.
I tried using Partition Magic 8 to re-partition shrink the NTFS partition so
can format the remainder of the drive for Linux and shared partitions.  PM8
choked halfway through the process and left me to boot to the blue screen of
death.  After the crash, PM saw a single NTFS partition, but had left an
error(s) on it causing the problem.
I found a thread on another list suggesting that someone else ran into the
same PM problem.
I also discovered that by turning off the security feature in the BIOS unhid
the 3Gb partition.  Clearly IT was unaware of this since they have no
current
plans to install XP and would create a company standard image if they did.
Since I can't kill W2K and I don't have the permissions to be able to
restore
it if it gets messed up as before, I'm looking for a way to "safely" resize
the NTFS partition.
Will turning off the security feature allow PM to work, or is there
something
else about the T40 that is incompatible with PM.  (I've used PM on a W2K box
at home without problems.)  Are the open source ntfs resizing tools on
Knoppix or Mandrake any better?  (I don't need to be able to enlarge the
ntfs
partition since I can always make a second one, if necessary.)