[ltp] short battery life on t40

Frederic Gaus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 01:22:17 +0200

--Izn7cH1Com+I3R9J

> Also, I am running ext3.  Do you have any idea how much power is saved by=
=20
> switching to a non-journaling file system?  Do I actually need to=20

Well, powersaving should be very much cause in every other case the hdd
spins on every few minutes (secounds ?!?).

There exists a laptop-mode kernel-patch which tunes ext3 to act more
power and harddisk friendly..

Also you can try to set mount your hdisk-partitions with noatime:
/etc/fstab:
/dev/hda5       /home           ext2    defaults,noatime     0  2

hdparm -S [device] tells your harddisk to spin down as fast as possible.

Setting your /proc/sys/vm/bdflush to
30 500 0 0 60000 60000 60 20 0=20
also improves your hdd-writes.. the values are explained in=20
Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt
Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt

Like other guys allready said, tune your logfiles, write many things in
ramdisks (or even don't write them ;-) ) and maybe you want to use a
tmpfs..=20

> remove my wlan modules?  Why isn't turning off wireless with ifdown=20
> sufficient?  Thanks for your help.

Well, in my intern wlan-card (madwifi-driver the difference is not that
much, i got an extern 3com xjack pcmcia and I get about 20 minutes more
if I remove the card..

Hope my hints help you

Freddy

--Izn7cH1Com+I3R9J